Sunday, April 10, 2016

The NFL Possibly Expanding the Size of the Playoffs

I recently read an article that discussed NFL commissioner Roger Goodell possibly adding two more wildcard teams to the playoff. This is something that many fans want to happen, but I believe that this would be a terrible idea. This is not because I dislike change, but because it could mess up the whole system.

Looking back on the 2015 season, there was a game that proves my viewpoint. The first game played of the playoffs this past season was between the Houston Texans and the Kansas City Chiefs. The Texans had a great defense that carried the offense. Very similar to the Superbowl winning Denver Broncos. However, the Texans were no match for any team in the playoffs. I feel like this relates to all but only a few teams that are in the Wildcard hunt.

It is very weird saying this as a Dolphins fan, because if there was two extra wildcard teams, the Dolphins would have made it in the playoffs two out of the past three seasons. Even when I am talking about the Dolphins, I feel like they would not have a shot in the playoffs. There is a statistic that shows the small amount of success that wildcard teams have in the playoffs, and it is not very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment